Wednesday, September 22, 2010

On Stage

Tonight, I went to a try-out for Comedy Sportz. If you have never been to a Comedy Sportz event it is an improv comedy troupe that is totally kid friendly. My kids love it, and so do Kim and I. If you are in a city which offers it, give it a try. There were about 50 hopefuls in attendance and we each participated in a couple of improv exercises in groups of 4 which were really designed to see how we interacted with others and thought on our feet. I kind of bombed on the first one, I guess from a combination of nerves and hesitance. The second exercise went much better as I got a pretty big laugh from one of my lines. The problem was I really couldn't play off of the others and knew that I had kind of screwed up.
After the improvs there was a break so the monitors could decided who they wanted to see more of. Needless to say, I was not asked to stay. Let me say that there were a lot of VERY talented people in attendance tonight and I hope to see some of them on stage someday soon.
Now, here is the important message that I want to convey. While some may be reading this with a bit of sympathy or disappointment on my behalf, there is no need for such thoughts. I went there tonight to try something new(I succeeded), I went to get out of my box and try to be creative in some way(success) , I wanted to make people laugh(success).

I didn't get picked for the team. Big deal...I tried out. That is the most important thing. To try. It is better to try and fail than succeed at doing nothing. I am proud of me tonight and I feel a sense of accomplishment that I hasn't been there in a Looonnnggg time.

No comments: