Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hurricane Ike---getting back to normal

Well, it's been about ten days since the storm went through. Things seem to be returning to normal slowly. My staff at works seems to be adapting to the increased traffic in the store, and I am very proud of how each has handled themselves. We increased our normal sales last week by quite a bit and took care of more than twice as many customers as normal. All of this while under a city enforced curfew. I am not someone who really keeps opinions to myself very often, and this period has been no exception. A few of our group are trying to help out some of the newer people who have not been through storms before. We have been able to get everyone of the stores in our district open already. This number includes two stores on Galveston Island and one here in town that had significant roof damage. It makes me feel pretty good that some of the associates who only worked in my store for a day or two feel that they can call and ask me advice on procedures or for advice on how to deal with things like payroll. I feel as if I made an impact on them with how I treat co-workers.

I was able to take a day off today for the first time since the storm today. I had three goals:
1. Sleep In---it was accomplished because I woke up at 930AM--about 4 hours later than normal. Hey, I am a lazy bum, but I needed it.
2. Fix my Fence that was damaged in the storm so I could get my dogs off of chains.---my wife, who is more handy around the house than most( she actually was the one who boarded up most of the windows in preparation for the storm while I was at work), helped me take care of the fence in about three hours. It is a patch job, and not as neat as I'd like, but that's okay. When I get a weekend off, I'll probably work on it the right way.
3. Take my wife to lunch at her favorite restaurant. She loves Cafe' Adobe'. It is a Tex-Mex place which has a fried avocado which she loves, along with a Royal Margarita which is well worth the price. Three margaritas later and she was able to relax and get a nap this afternoon.

So, with my to-do list accomplished, I played Madden. A lot of Madden. So much Madden, that I increased the difficulty level, and got my butt kicked.
That's okay, tomorrow is another day.

No comments: