Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day

When we think of Labor Day as a holiday, what comes to mind? Is it the Jerry Lewis telethon? Baseball? or Barbecue with the family? Labor Day is a day to relax with family, to contemplate days gone by and most of all, Labor Day is a day that most people rest. My Dad is not most people. This weekend, Hurricane Gustav chased my father and brother from their home in Vidor, Texas. They evacuated to spend a few days with my family while the storm arrived. Well, there was no sign of the Hurricane at my dad's home, much less my own. But, it does not mean there was no evidence of a Hurricane's aftermath in my front yard.

You see, while many were around the grill yesterday, my dad stated that he was bored. When my dad is bored, no one is bored! The yardwork projects which have been put off all summer long were tackled. Low hanging limbs were cut, weed trees were removed, a flower bed was beautified and a fence was fixed. What was left, was a pile of limbs and weeds 4 feet high. Growing up, Dad taught me about work ethic. He taught me, Jon and Brian that nothing feels as good as the feeling of accomplishment after a project is complete. He reminded me yesterday, and spread the message to my wife and kids as well. So, while the rest of the area breathed a sigh of relief yesterday afternoon, my family sighed in fatigue coupled with a sense of delight at a job well done.

No comments: