Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day Mom

Everyone has a different opinion about what Mother's Day is all about. Is it about celebrating someone who gave you the gift of life? Is it about enjoying time with the person who nurtured and took care of you when you were young? Not everyone is lucky enough as to have had a mother who was always there for them. For that, whether you want it or not, my sympathies.

Nurse, Counselor, Chauffeur, Coach, Teacher, Chef, Maid, Cheerleader, Referee... My mom was all of these things and so much more. But, my favorite thing about my mom, is that growing up, my mom was my best friend. We had fun together. Whether it was taking a walk or playing games, she was always there. When my brothers and I would play basketball in the front yard, she was there with us. Whether is was a soccer game, a scout meeting, or even just going to a friends house for a sleepover, she made sure we got there safely.

When I was 11, I wanted a hobby. I asked my mom if it was okay if I collected comics, she and my dad took me to numerous stores which carried comics. I was hooked. I can't begin to tell you all of the things that my mother means to me. As I grew older, tensions developed between my father, my brothers and myself, she always mediated the disagreements and made sure things were okay. As I started dating, she was there through my first crush, my first love, and more importantly, my first break-up. She told me that the sun would rise the next day, and I would wake up and start again. I never told my mother thank you nearly enough. I don't think any of us do.

My mom could make a friends in a minute and a half. She loved life, but loved people even more. We would eat lunch together as much as possible, When I got my license, the first movie I went to, I went with her. It was the Tom Hanks Dragnet film. It was awful, but we laughed together and had a great time. She was there for me when I had my tonsils remover(21) and the Chicken Pox(23). She was there for the births of my children. She came to their soccer games and choir recitals.

My favorite thing to do was make my mother smile. No matter what, as long as I got a smile, we were cool. On her 50th birthday, my dad had to work, so I took her to a bar. Someone put on some Garth, and my mom and I danced. During the song, I looked down at her and said" Mom, do you realize that you are half a century old?" She looked at me a minute and we had a chuckle and a hug. Time moved on, and so did I. I moved out of our little town, and ended up meeting my wife. I spent less and less time with my folks as my kids got older.

My mom was ill for a while, and then she got better. After getting as healthy as I'd seen her in 5 years, she and my dad stopped by to see me on their way home from a doctor's visit. She couldn't talk because of a trachea tube, and I told my father that he could finally get a word in edgewise. She looked at me funny for a second, and then she smiled. That was on July 4th of 2007. I was busy with it being a holiday, they cut their visit short because they didn't want to be in my way. I told them both I loved them, and went back to work. Four days later, my mother was gone. She passed away at home with my father at her side. I got to my father as quickly as I could, he has been strong. I have had a rough time dealing with mom's passing over the last 10 months. I work in retail, and have been selling Mother's day card, after Mother's day card. That has caused me to miss my mom even more. The hardest part was saying goodbye at her funeral. Jon and I each gave a eulogy, but as we each muddled through the words that we were saying to those assembled that day, I hadn't fully processed that my mother was gone. 10 months later, it has sunk in. I wake up each day, and the sun rises. It's gonna be okay.

Just not tomorrow. But, I think it will be soon. Thanks for listenin' guys.Happy Mother's Day to all of the mom's out there.

No comments: