Sunday, April 6, 2008

Weekend Warrior Woes

First of all, my company had a picnic this weekend. It was a day coordinated by our CVS district staffs and put together in a great and fun way for the whole family. There was tug of war, a limbo contest, hula hoop and a rubber chicken and egg toss.
I am not a small man, in fact I am about 75 pounds overweight, but the event that I looked most forward to was a softball game between our two districts. I was excited, ready to go, and the only thing I did not want to do was make a fool of myself. The positions were set, the batting line-up was set, and for some reason I was batting lead-off. I walked up to the plate half expecting to hit one in the gap and leg out a double for my team. I watched the first pitch go by and smugly looked at the pitcher, trying to decide where in the field I would hit the ball. The second pitch came and I swung. I nailed the ball pretty hard and took off for first. A single was in my sights, until my 5th step, where I lost my footing and fell headfirst onto the ground. I had succeeded on the second pitch of the game at making a fool of myself.
We didn't score in the first, and quickly took the field. I took my station at second base, and was ready to prove that my prowess with the glove would make up for my plate appearance. Well....It didn't. The first ball hit my way, I fell again. I won't say it was the shoes(they weren't cleats by the way). We got out of the first w/ only giving up a couple of runs. My first inning was worthy of a segment on AFV. Hopefully there were no video cameras present.
We were down by 8 before we scored, and only because we recruited a couple of people during the game. One guy walked up looking for the Keller Williams softball team, Kim told him, we could be if you want, but I'll go get you a shirt. He said that sounds cool, grabbed his glove and ran to the outfield. We ended up losing 9-4. It could have been much worse. I did end up going 2-4 at the plate and drove in a run.
The true result of a weekend softball game is only evident the next day. Today is the next day and I can barely walk. My legs and back are sore. The worst part is trying to get up. Work is gonna be rough this week. It's all good though. I've got a year until we play again. I have two options, get in shape and hit a batting cage or hire a couple of good ballplayers before our next game.

No comments: