Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Comic Reviews of the Day

Countdown #10-9 You remember last time, when I said that I just wasn't really feeling Countdown. Well, guess what? after 42 issues and $126 spent, it is finally coming together in my opinion. Honestly, I really enjoyed these two issues a lot. There was action, the story has progressed more in the last 6 issues in my opinion than in the previous 35. All in all, I think it has been stretched out a lot. I really liked the powers that Harley and Holly were given. The returns of pure Mary Marvel and the Atom in costume were long overdue. But, most of all, for the first time in this series I am upset that I can't read the next issue yet, though it did come out today.

Lord Havok and the Extremists #4 The Extremists were great in their early JLE appearances, but have not been seen or heard from a whole lot since. That said, I am really enjoying this series. I have liked the focus on the individual members of the team, and really enjoy the tone of this series, where maybe the Extremists weren't the ones who pushed things over the edge on Angor.
I thought the origin of Dreamslayer was well done and really want to see more done with these characters after this series ends. To me, this is the best of the Countdown tie-in books.

JLA Classified #51-53 "That was then, this is now" and vice versa has been exactly what I think the title was meant to be from the beginning. It has been so well done. Don't you love the way Byrne draws Wonder Woman and Superman? The story involves two different eras of the League and it is done very seamlessly. The conclusion to the story and the series will be next issue. It's kinda like the guy who sinks the 3 pointer at the buzzer, even though his team was down by four. Too little, too late.

Well, that's it for me tonight, stay safe.

No comments: