Saturday, March 8, 2008

My Dad

Today, I'm gonna talk about my hero. His name is Gerald Wayne Kelley, and he just happens to be my dad. We live about an hour away from each other, so we don't get to see him and my brother Brian as much as we want. But we are able to talk on the phone probably twice a week. He came and picked up my kids this morning for a sleepover. I had told him the other day about me not being able to mow the yard due to the lawnmower not starting. He came and picked 'em up, with lawnmower in truck bed. I was able to mow the yard, and we were able to have a nice visit.
He likes to spend time with his grand kids, and Nathan and Lauren love seeing him. You see, a lot of things in life, I've learned from my father. Be it, his work ethic, his loyalty to family or his love for his children. My mom and dad taught me a lot growing up. They taught me that it was okay to be a little off the beat and path. They always accepted me for who I am and what my interests are. They were the model for the parent I wanted to grow up to be. When my mom passed away last July, it was hard on all of us. My dad has shown strength, courage and tenderness over the last 8 months now. It is sometimes very difficult for men to express how they feel towards each other, but I tell my father I love him every time we talk to each other. What I haven't told him nearly enough is that I am very proud that he is my father and for everything that we share. Thank you for being you Dad, I love you.

No comments: