Monday, March 10, 2008

My Mom

Well, so far in two weeks of doing this, I've talked about skydiving, comic books, my dad and a lot of other stuff. See, I can do that stuff, it's still with me, it's still there. There is one person who is only left in memory for me. Her name is Cheryl Raye Kelley, she is my mom. I lost my mother on July 8, 2007. I was at work when I got the phone call from my father, and I'll never forget the moment he told me my mom was gone. Time just seemed to stand still as I was standing at the front of my store sobbing after being told that she has passed. Grief is a strange thing. It waits, bides it's time and strikes when you least expect. The other day I was working and Wind Beneath My Wings came on the store radio. I was a basket case for the next 20 minutes or so. It just hits once in a while. Words can't really describe how much I miss my mother. Growing up, she was my best friend. I could tell her anything, we would laugh together, run the roads together, it didn't matter. My mom and I went to see Dragnet together in a theatre one night I think I was 18 or 19 at the time. She loved Dan Aykroyd, and Tom Hanks wasn't a star yet. We laughed at that movie and we laughed together. It was a night for the longest time that I took for granted. Looking back though, It was very special. It was just me and mom going to see a movie together like friends often do. I miss my friend, I miss my mom, I will always love her, and cherish all the times now, that I may have took for granted then.
I don't want to sound like someone who tells others, if I knew then...type of stuff. But, cherish the time you have with everyone that you love. Enjoy it, savor it, and relish it, just don't decide that it'll have to wait. Because if you do, You may miss sharing a special time with someone that you love.

No comments: