Monday, March 17, 2008

Kelley Family '08: The Voyage Home

Yesterday, I wrote about the family's trip to Six Flags. Today, I'll write about the trip back to the house that turned into so much more. I knew the morning would not start off well when I tried to shower in our QC room and their was no hot water. It was okay though, the morning would get better at our "hot continental breakfast." I don't mean to complain about little stuff, but you know what...I will. We got to the lobby at 745am, and they were out of my breakfast staple. Not eggs, bacon or sausage mind you...Cereal. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to my choice of breakfast foods, but I love my bowl of cereal in the morning. Corn Flakes, Frosted Flakes, Raisin Bran, heck I don't care...give me Grape Nuts and I'm thrilled. Not this morning, no cereal or bagels for me for breakfast. I knew it would not be a good day. Okay, the kids were happy, and things would be okay.
We went to Fair Park in Dallas for the end of our weekend getaway. It is an area in Dallas which houses the Cotton Bowl and six museums. The Science and History museums were both great. The staff was helpful, and their was a cute elementary school tour going on. All lined up together, holding hands, and behaving so well. It was going so well, until THE JUNIOR HIGH KIDS ARRIVED. When the Junior High tour arrived it was like seeing time lapse photography of a colony of insects moving upon a picnic. Except it was in real time, and these kids were freaking loud and didn't give two hoots about science or history. When the headache started, I was done and ready to go home.
Home for us though, is Baytown, Texas. 250 miles from our location. I am not a person who is really in a hurry to get any where, today I should have been. If you have ever made the drive on I45 from Dallas to Houston, you know there is not a whole lot to see. The best thing we saw on the first half of the trip was the Russel Stover Outlet store in Corsicana. It is a candy store attached to one of the 4 Russel Stover factories in the Country. Pretty much anything they make was in this store at discounted prices. The kids got what they wanted, the parents did too. But we still had 200 miles to go, and we gave our kids candy. Sugar on a long car ride, not one of my better ideas.
There is so little to do on the trip back, my wife and I played a dumb little game of trying to name sitcoms based on letters of the alphabet. You took turns until someone had to pass. Whoever named the last sitcom got the point basically. It is not as easy as it sounds. After we were done, we realized in the "B's" alone, we missed Benson, Barney Miller, Bosom Buddies, and the Brady Bunch. When you're in the car, try it....and if you know of a sitcom which begins with Q, V, or I you get the point.
Upon getting back to our home area, Cafe Adobe was where my wife wanted to eat. She loves this dish they have called "The Avocado Adobe". They take an Avocado, top with fajita meat, batter and deep fry it and cover it with queso. Yeah, it's real healthy, but she says it is worth it. We stopped, piled out of the car, went in and waited to be seated, and waited. Finally, we were given a table in the middle of the restaurant in plain sight of everyone except I guess of restaurant staff members. One guy walked by us three times without even acknowledging we existed. Finally after about 5-10 minutes, I wrote never mind on the back of Nathan's kid menu in green crayon, and we left. Bad Breakfast, Bad Dinner experience and Chocolate for lunch, things weren't going well. We did stop at the Red Lobster close by and had a great dining experience. So, thank you for the staff at the Woodlands Red Lobster for rescuing an otherwise horrible dining day. We finally got home about 630 pm. Everyone exhausted, but thrilled to be home. With hot water in the tub and cinnamon toast crunch in the pantry, tomorrow will be a better day, and I don't have to drive.

Have a great night.

No comments: